Sunday, July 09, 2006

This is my first post to my blog. I've decided to start one as a way to chronicle my year long adventure. For years I've dreamed of taking some time off from my hi-tech job to climb, travel and enjoy life. On June 30th it finally happened. After 10 years in the hi-tech industry I flew down to the bay area on June 28th for a series of farewell lunches, exit interviews and to turn in my badge. When I first tendered my resignation a month ago I was apprehensive about what I would do after the 30th. As I got closer to my final day that apprehension was replace with excitement for the adventures I was starting to plan. By Friday I was floating around the office on a natural high saying good bye to my co-workers. Ironically my flight home to Portland was first class, the only time I've flown first class for work.

My first week of "retirement" has been busy. It started with a 4 day "weekend" of parties celebrating a dual purpose Independence Day. It culminated with a huge 4th of July BBQ party at the Shack with about 30 of my friends. We're still eating the food and beer left over from the party.

On Wednesday (July 5th) my first day of not going to work, I headed to the Columbia Gorge to climb Beacon Rock with Preston who is also happily unemployed. Beacon Rock was a fun half-day climb and my pictures can be viewed here. We climbed the SE Face, which was the original route with about 6 pitches of easy 5th class. The crux was a nice 5.7 friction slab. The weather was perfect, we had great views and the place to ourselves.

Thursday (July 6th) Preston and I had planned to go climbing at French's Dome near Mount Hood, but rain diverted us to Broughton Bluff instead. After an interesting trad lead by Preston on Edges and Ledges (5.8) we spent the afternoon top roping some 5.9 and 5.10 routes at the Red Wall.

This past weekend was mostly spent painting my office and attending a friend's wedding. In all a perfect start to my "retirement". Next up, a couple days at Smith followed by a Rainier climb...

No comments: